Saturday 25 July 2009

Colwyn Bay Golf Club, Upper Colwyn Bay

The 100 acre Colwyn Bay Golf Club, situated on what is now the modern housing estates of Upper Colwyn Bay, closed in 1956. It was sold to two local businessmen, who wanted to turn it into a caravan park with 400 caravans, but who were refused Planning Permission in August 1957. In January 1958, Colwyn Bay Borough Council bought the entire site for £10,250 and sold it for a private housing development (called 'Colwyn Heights') in 1960, giving themselves a nice £40,000 profit in the process.

The proceeds were used to purchase the 36 acre Glan Y Don Estate next to Eirias Park for £67,250 - the mansion became the Civic Centre and the grounds became part of Eirias Park. By a series of land deals, the Council ended up with a fine Civic Centre at a net cost of just £1,000 - if only CCBC were so enterprising today!

Location of Golf House on early 1970s Ordnance Survey map:


Map (c) Ordnance Survey

Here's a 1911 map, showing the house, Braeside, that later became the golf club house. It was then demolished and the Pen y Bryn/Taylors built on the site in the early 1980s and opened in 1983:



Looking at Google Maps, it would seem that Braeside was located where the main car park of the Pen Y Bryn is now.

Found the 1911 map showing the Golf Club House when it was on Pen Y Bryn Road, now a house called 'Southbank':



Found this old advert:


I've also heard of a house called Golf Cottage which was associated with the course, it's on Pen Y Bryn Road, just to the right of the road up to the Pen Y Bryn pub - set back from the road slightly, will try and get a photo when I'm in the area next. So might there have been three clubhouses over the years?

Anyone know more?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer
but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.
My web blog : Learning to Golf

Popular Posts